Sunday, January 11, 2015

Late Night at Apache Cafe


It was a cold brisk Thursday evening. I pulled up near The Varsity which is a historic fast food restaurant in downtown Atlanta. I parked and waited in the car for my contact. Since I had time, I brushed my hair and put my eyeliner on. Shortly after 10 o'clock I received a call from my contact. I gathered my club essentials which is nothing more than a Michael Kors clutch containing my ID, lip gloss, and a few dollars for drinks (I was sure I would need it). I got out of the car, and walked towards The Apache Cafe making my way through a graffiti filled alley.

A late night, in a creepy alley, spray painted walls, and loud music heard from a block away... I thought to myself, now this is Hip-Hop! I proceeded to the entrance where I met The Next Big Artist Windsor Jones and his manager Cooley James. We did a "walk-thru" and the acknowledgements from the host Fortknoxville lead the crowd into cheer. The Mayor of the Streets, DJ Tokars took the stage and saluted Windsor Jones as we passed. Continuing to the second level of the cafe just before entering the patio area, I found a cozy, quaint little spot off to the side to sit. The surrounding brick walls had a similar feel to that of a European-London like cellar. I began to take notice of the cultured environment in which I was present. Coffee mugs on select tables, abstract painting on walls and international people of various backgrounds filled the cafe. I re-positioned myself to get comfortable where i could enjoy a clear view of the stage. Someone from behind tapped me on the shoulder, I was locked and loaded with a quick response, ready for any pick-up line that has ever been thought off! I turned my head to the young man that was now standing beside me; he leaned in and said "sorry I spilled my drink," gesturing to the arm rest. I nodded my head and smiled in appreciation to his politeness, and returned to my note taking.

Kelvin, from Makin It Magazine congratulated the upcoming artists of the Exposure Open Mic showcase on investing in themselves. He informed them to not only market their music online but to physically push their product in the streets and to realize the importance of a publicist (this hint of insight definitely had my attention as I transition from blogger to publicist, Hooray Kelvin!).
Well-known underground artist put on great shows throughout the night. Then, the strangest thing happened! A slim, fare-skinned girl with long dark hair, furry vest, a blvck sequin bando, and leggings took to the stage and grabbed the mic exclaiming, "Imma let you finish, Imma let you finish!" Again, my attention was drawn keenly to the stage as this was reminiscent to an even that has happened before. Ah, Ha! These were Kanye Wests' exact words to Taylor Swift at the MTV 2009 Video Music Awards. In the rawest of hip hop form she began to express herself, rapping acapella. After 8 bars or so, she passed the mic to a lyrically inclined, light-skinned woman with big blue hair, who passionately delivered a hot 16! I was elated to see women pull such a bold act. Taking control of their careers in a male dominated arena (not to mention in an environment that some outsiders may consider risque), was admirable to say the least. Halfway across the cafe I could see the special invited guest of tonight's event Windsor Jones celebrating all of the upcoming artist's achievements. Moving through the crowd, The Next Big Artist and his entourage joined me as we all had drinks, an uplifting smoke, and partied for the rest of the night.

@DJTokars @Fortknoxville @WindsorJonesATL @IamCooleyJames @MakinItMag 


CHECK OUT A GLIMPSE OF @WindsorJonesATL Featured.





No comments:

Post a Comment